The Columns Museum - The Hiawatha Stagecoach

While many historic artifacts are replicas, not the Hiawatha Stage Coach - this is the real deal. Fully restored to 1850's specifications.

Initially, the Hiawatha was operated by the Honesdale and Erie Railroad to provide passenger service between Honesdale and Susquehanna, Pennsylvania.

At about the same time, John W. Findlay, a native of Scotland who had moved to Milford, established a local livery business and took over an existing stage line between Milford and Port Jervis, New York.

In the 1860's, after the Honesdale line was discontinued, Mr. Findlay traded his first and smaller stagecoach for the twelve passenger Hiawatha we see today.

The Columns Museum - The Hiawatha Stagecoach


The Hiawatha became a familiar sight in the Milford vicinity of Pike County, running along the banks of the Delaware carrying passengers, the United States mail, and the business of the local Wells Fargo Express Agency. It provided continuous service during the remainder of the 19th century and the first two decades of the 20th century; it was also used for numerous local excursions, parades, and celebrations.

Late in the 1920's, the Hiawatha, falling into a state of disrepair, was stored in one of Mr. Findlay's barns, then in other barns around Milford. During the 1950's, the Findlay family donated the stagecoach to the Pike County Historical Society, and, in 1982, the Society moved the Hiawatha to the carriage restoration facilities of Mr. Elam Riehl of Gap, Pennsylvania, to have the stagecoach restored to its original condition. Today, the restored - or resurrected - Hiawatha is back in Milford, on permanent display at The Columns.